Friday, December 23, 2011

Holiday Basics

In this holiday season I have to say again the words you seem to hear from me so often:

WHAT DE HELL?!?!?

I'm working with kids and so I decide to do "name that tune" with Christmas songs.  I don't have a Christmas book with me so I just wing it.  Here's the tune list:

Here Come's Santa Clause
Jingle Bells
Christmas Time is Here
Joy to the World
Winter Wonderland
The Christmas Song (chestnuts roasting on a open fire...)
Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow
Silent Night
Deck The Halls
Oh, Christmas Tree
I'll be Home for Christmas
- and -
Santa Claus is Coming to Town

Now I'll be home for Christmas, maybe I'll take that you don't know that, but Oh Christmas Tree?! Let it Snow?! The Christmas Song (this, the most popular Christmas song of all time was actually written by a Jew, Mel Torme)?!

These are not kindergardeners, they're in 4th and 5th grades!  The fact that our children do not know some basic cultural material is upsetting.  In that spirit, I'm starting a sing along in my car cause at least MY kids will know some of this stuff.  Maybe it'll spread.  It's due time we value our cultural heritage, no matter where it came from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment